Enjoy Shiga with a comfortable bicycle!
How to rent a bicycle
- □ Please fill in this Bicycle Rental Form (If the user under 18-year-old, please receive the Guardian’s sign and contact info. )
Click here to download the Bicycle Rental Form！ >
- □ If you agree to the above, please check the "I agree" in the form.
- □ The totality of the fee shall be paid by the User when renting the bicycle based on the submitted time of renting（Cash only）
- □ Please allow us to make a copy of user’s ID and the receipt.
- □ We will explain the usage of bicycle to you.
- □ Check bicycle（bicycle brake, handlebar grip, bell, tires, saddle）
- □ （For cross bikes）We rent helmet for free.
- □ Let’s go cycling！
- □ Check bicycle（bicycle brake, handlebar grip, bell, tires, saddle）
- □ Please sign on the Bicycle Rental Form. （In case of the damage）The User shall pay for the repair fee.
- □ If the User fails to return the bicycle at the indicated time, User shall pay for additional fee. (250yen per hour)
- □ Thank you. We are looking forward to seeing you again.
1. Rental Application
●Users shall apply directly at Otsu Station Tourist Information Center (hereinafter also “Information Center”).
(1) Users are required to fill in the Application Form for each bicycle and to allow the Information Center to make a copy of his/her own ID (e.g. Passport, Driving License, Health Insurance Card and Student ID). The User must apply in person at the Information Center during the Center’s business hours (9:00-18:00).
(2) Users must provide show your proper ID to rent a bicycle. If you won’t be able to show your legal ID, then we are afraid that we cannot provide this service.
(3) Users under 18 years old must be accompanied by a guardian.
(4) In case of a false statement in the User’s application, he/she will not be entitled to use this service.
(5) Per person can only rent one bicycle.
2. Reservation System
(1) Users can reserve the bicycles up to 3 months prior to the desired date of rent. The reservation can be made until 18:00, via phone call or by going directly to the Information Center.
(2) At the time of the reservation, the Users will be asked their name, age, telephone number, reservation day/time and type of bicycle the Users wish to rent.
(3) Users shall acknowledge that due to prior bookings or similar circumstances, the bicycle(s) might not be available for rent at the desired date/time.
(4) In case of any bicycle damage, accident or theft which could happen from previous customers. We sincerely apologize in advance that even though you have a reservation, there could be no bicycle available. Please feel free to ask our staff.
(5) Users are required to contact the Information Center whenever the User is going to be late for the submitted reservation time. If the User will be later than 1 hour after the submitted time, the reservation will be automatically cancelled.
(6) Users are required to inform the Information Center about cancellations prior to the submitted date/time.
(7) Users can rent the bicycles by applying directly to the Center, but reservations shall take precedence over other requests.
3. Renting Fee
●Renting fee: 1 hour→250JPY / Full day & Overnight→1800JPY *the full day and overnight fee includes 1 day and 1 night of renting (where night stays for the Center’s closing hours: 18:00PM - 9:00AM) If the User returns the bicycle after 9:00 AM, 250JPY will be charged for each additional hour.
(1) The fee shall be paid in cash only.
(2) The totality of the fee shall be paid by the User before renting the bicycle, based on the submitted time of renting. If the User should end up renting the bicycle for shorter than the indicated time, the User will not be refunded of the difference.
(3) If the User fails to return the bicycle at the indicated time, additional hourly charges will apply.
4. Rental Period
(1) Please return the bicycle during the Center’s business hours (9:00-18:00).
(2) The rental period is up to 3 days.
5. Rental Procedure
●Before each rental, a staff member will inspect the bicycle. In particular, the following points will be examined.
(tire pressure/saddle position/light/hand breaks/handlebars/bell)
6. Procedures for Returning the Bicycle
(1) When applying for the service, the User shall specify the renting time and day. If the User wills to extend its renting period, the User shall without fail contact the Information Center prior to the indicated time of return.
(2) Bicycles shall be returned exclusively to the Otsu Station Tourist Information Center.
(3) If the User fails to return the bicycle for several days, the Information Center will take appropriate measures such as submitting the case to the local police.
7. Damage of the bicycle
 Flat Tire Repairs
(1) In case of a tire puncture happens while renting the bicycle, the User shall contact to information center and provide to the repair or substitution of such flat tire(s)
(2) All the expense of damage and of repair shall be borne by the User.
 Other repairs
(1) In case of damage of the bicycle, the User shall contact to information center and return it to the Information Center as it is.
(2) When the damage of the bicycle is caused by the User, the User shall be responsible of the costs involved in the necessary repair.
(3) If the User proceeds with the repair of the bicycle or any part of the bicycle/rented items without first acknowledging the Information Center, the User will not be refunded of such repairing charge.
(4) The Information Center shall not be liable of any damage caused by the User, a third party or any other party which is not the Information Center itself.
(5) In case of any damage of the bicycle, if not being able to finish the ride, the user shall to contact information center immediately. The transport fee of bicycle shall be paid by the user.
8. Theft・Loss of the bicycle
(1) To prevent theft, please make sure you lock the bicycle.
(2) If the bicycle gets lost/stolen during the usage, the User shall contact immediately the jurisdictional police and Information Center.
(3) In case of a theft/loss caused by the User’s negligence (e.g. the User left the bicycle unlocked),the Information Center is entitled to claim from the User a penalty, which will correspond to the recommended retail price of the same model at its most.
(4) If the bicycle gets removed for illegal parking, the User shall pay for the bicycle recovery at his/her own expenses.
(1) The Information Center shall not be liable for any accident or theft caused by third parties.
(2) When an accident occurs, the User will contact immediately the jurisdictional police and Information Center and refer the necessary details such as place and time, dynamics and cause of the accident.
(3) If the User opts for a settlement out of court, he/she shall do it at his/her own risk.
(4) If the User causes an irreparable damage to or breaks the bicycle. Whenever the Information Center should for any reason refund a third party for damage, the Information Center is entitled to claim back such payment from the User.
(5) It is mandatory for anyone who wish to cycle in Shiga Prefecture to take out a liability insurance for cycling. It is to ensure that you can claim for personal and property damages from accidents with other vehicles or pedestrians. (Shiga Prefecture bicycle safety regulations No.14 )
(6) The information center staff will make sure if User have already taken out a liability insurance while applying.
If the User is not taking out a liability insurance, the staff would highly recommend the User take out a liability insurance.
* Regarding the liability insurance, the tourists couldn’t take out a liability insurance in Japan.
10. Loss or damage of the bicycle locks/keys
●In case of loss or damage of the bicycle lock or key, the User shall compensate the Information Center for such damage or loss, and the Information Center will not give the sum back to the User in case of eventual recovery of the lost item.
11. Prohibited Activities
(1) Riding the bicycle under the effect of alcohol, dangerous riding or any other act which is against the Japanese traffic laws.
(2) Using the bicycle in hazardous or inappropriate places.
(3) Parking or stopping the bicycle in areas where parking is forbidden.
(4) Replacing or modifying any part of the bicycle, the helmet or any other rented item.
(5) Keeping riding after discovering a malfunctioning of the bicycle. (e.g. flat tire)
(6) Allowing any other individual to use the bicycle.
(7) Reselling the bicycle.
(8) The violation of public order and morality.
13. Suspension of Use
(1) If the User breaches one or more of the terms described in this Terms and Conditions this agreement shall be considered canceled and the User shall immediately take back the bicycle to the Information Center regardless of the notified hour of return.
(2) In case of suspension of use, the rental fee will not be refunded.
(3) If the User makes a breach of contract, the User shall be considered in any sense responsible for damage to the Information Center or to third parties. Information center has the right to ask for compensation.
14. Handling of personal Information
(1) To conduct a screening of the applicants.
(2) To collect each User’s necessary contact information.
(3) For Information Center’s statistic purposes and market researches.
15. Governing Language
Vierra Otsu, 1-3 Kasuga-cho, Otsu-shi, Shiga-ken 〒520-0055
Line ID: @ruz4681w